Friday, February 22, 2013

Paul's Three I Ams, Romans 1:14-17, free commentary

Paul's Three I Ams, Romans 1:14-17, free commentary

Free Bible Study: Paul’s Epistle to the Romans


Today’s Lesson: Paul’s Three “I Ams”
Scripture: Romans 1:14-17


Description:
14 I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to wise and to unwise.
I am debtor. Paul views himself as a debtor to the whole world. He has been placed in debt by the love of Jesus Christ. “For the love of Christ compels us…” (II Cor 5:14). Paul’s concept of Christian service is that each believer is deeply in debt. It is probably this same concept that inspired Isaac Watts to pen the words of the hymn “At the Cross” when he said, “But drops of grief can ne’er repay the debt of love I owe. Here, Lord, I give myself away, ’tis all that I can do.” Paul felt he had a responsibility to give nothing less than himself to the spreading of the gospel by which he was saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment